Use Craigslist to Find and Hire Talented Professionals
Craigslist.org has proven to be an excellent resource for True Blade when we needed to find well-qualified professionals. This article will teach you how to successfully use Craigslist.org to find the people you need.
Although there are many websites which can assist you when you need to find a person or small business with a skill set you do not currently have, Craigslist.org has consistently proven to be the most useful for us. We have wasted time on other websites trying to find people but we always come back to Craigslist. You can find full-time employees, part-time employees, or people for a specific project, task, or gig.
You should plan to do plenty of up-front work to be clear about what you need and what you're looking for. This insures that people who read your posting will know what you want, and you will receive qualified responses, saving your time. Few unqualified people will respond.
So plan to put in some preparation time up-front, putting yourself in the mindset of someone who might read your ad, and use language that will connect with their interest.
Here are a couple of tips that helped us:
- More work on your part up-front, writing a great ad, yields improved results. The people who contact you will be more clear about what you want and better able to identify whether they are a good match.
- Include links to your company's website or other relevant webpages so that the reader will be able to research who you are and what you want.
- In your posting include your full name, your company's name, and your phone number, but omit your email address in your posting. Some people may call you - but more importantly it establishes your authenticity, and this is a good thing for attracting better people. Don't include your email address because Craigslist handles this automatically for you, preventing your email address from getting harvested and going into Spam lists.
- Prepare to analyze many résumés and respond to each applicant. You can also set up an email autoresponder so that each person who responds will know you have received their email.
- If you are know how to create webpages on your company's website, consider creating a multi-step series of pages, to increase the amount of information a person has to read before they apply for the position.
- If possible, capture the applicant's information directly into your company's database, via online html forms.